The Main Switch is just that. The “Big Daddy” switch that turns the power off to the whole of the electrical installation. The rating of the Main Switch refers to how much current it can switch. If installed prior to 2007 it normally doesn’t have any overload protection capabilities.
So if you are overloading this main switch or your mains cable the main switch will not cut out and protect your home and wiring, but… rather burn something!
Back in the day this old one was installed this was not a big deal. However, over the years we have added more powerful appliances to our home, Air Conditioners, loads more kitchen appliances, bigger and better washing machines, dryers, heaters, fans, pools, spas, dish washers and the list goes on and on. Our needs for electricity is way larger than those old main switches were ever designed to handle.
Not only that but the wire coming into the house back in the day was only 6 or 10mm this is way too small for the demand we are placing on that cable today. This could mean that your supply is only rated and just 32Amps for the whole house. To give you an idea of how small that is, a toaster is typically 8-10Amps!!! You could be overloading that mains cable for years without even knowing it, the main switch has no overload protection. Something is slowly burning… It’s like driving your car up a steep hill constantly with your foot flat to the floor. Sooner or later something will break and when it does it could be a catastrophic failure.
Also if there is ever a big fault or a sudden increase in current. That same burning can happen instantly. An increase in current is cause by several different things or situations. A short in the electrical wiring system, defective appliance, and lightning strikes are some examples of things that can trigger an increase in current. With no overload protection on your mains a high current would cause the wires to heat up and eventually the insulators will burn. This is the most common cause of fires blamed on faulty electrical wiring.
All of this can be quickly and easily prevented with a circuit breaker style main switch. We just install the correct size to match the capacity to what your mains cables are actually rated at. That way they will never burn but simply the breaker will turn off if it ever detects a problem. Reset the breaker and you are all good to go. If you do have a recurring overload problem try changing the way you use the electricity to minimise overloads. Don’t put everything on at the same time or upgrade
- Here are some examples of Main switches withoutany overload protection
- This type of main switch looks like a circuit breaker but is not it is just an isolating switch with no overload protection.
- Increase energy output – upgrading your mains will allow you the ability to use as much energy without the risk of harming yourself, your family or your property.
- Professional work – We are professional electricians and we know how to ensure that you and your family are receiving the highest quality workmanship, for your home.